fot

Memories

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Memories
From: "fredd" <fal@knology.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:27:01 -0600
A few weeks ago, while watching my copy of "Victory by design, Porsche", at
the point were Brian Redman said :"...after a race in Franchorchamps, and
you realise you're still alive ... " it made me think about my memories of
Spa Franchorchamps, and especcially my favorite corner l'Eau Rouge and the
Raidillon.

Here a few of the important ones, for me ;

- '50's, as a kid, 8 or 9, I was there with an uncle who was corner worker,
the cars passed fast...
- 1966 I believe, 1000km of Francorchamps, my dads good friend and also
father in law of Jacky Ickx, Jean Blaton, gave me during the early practice
runs a tour in his GT40, later I watched him in the race going tru the
Raidillon, that was fast ...
- 1970, my first race as a co-pilot in a Austin Cooper, lost 4th gear, in
the Raidillon that was slow and scaring ...
- 1979, testdrive in a Porsche 935 with Belgian team Racing City 7, going up
the Raidillon, that was fast ...
- 1985, 1000km of Francorchamps, Steffan Bellof crashes in this corner, his
Porsche 956 into Jacky Ickx his 956, Steffan Bellof dies...
- 2000, last time I was in Francorchamps, looking at what became of what was
once a beautifull and scared track, I realised that today's cars and drivers
have made this a track for political correct softies, sad, very sad ...

fredd