fot

Memories

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Memories
From: Dave Riddle <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:01:16 -0700
Buzzing the backroads around Lexington, KY and Boones Hollow sitting on the
"rear seat" of my Dad's Lime Green TR3 (early 70's)

Learning to drive with my (white-knuckled - had to try some "rally" moves
don't ya know!) Mom riding in my 1972 Mercury Capri on the dirt road "Tank
trails" that criss-cross the woods of Fort Bragg North Carolina. (late 70's)

Doing my first (unplanned) do-nut in the wet, in traffic, on a busy street
in Savannah.

First major cross country road trip with a friend as we drove in my 1965
Mustang Coupe from Savannah to Provo, UT for school. (Summer of 1981).

Driving my Mustang home from Provo to Tempe, AZ for Thanksgiving (where my
parents had retired) while giving rides to five girls from that area! Where
there is a will there is a way to carry as many potential dates for the
long weekend home as you can in your car.

Driving a cheerleading squad teammate's Camero from Provo to San Diego for
the 1981 Holiday Bowl. Some of our Profs had not let us take our Finals
early to travel with the team for the game and thus we had to drive rather
than fly. I got pulled over with four other people in the car and had to
call my Uncle to help with the speeding ticket since I did not want to tell
my Dad.

Beating all the other Phoenix area TR Club members in an AutoX driving my
1957 TR-3 - that is until list member Greg Lund showed up with his blown
TR-6 with slicks and then having to settle for second place. (1984 or 1985)

Making the run from Provo to Tempe, AZ (by way of Page, AZ) when a
transferred from BYU to ASU in my 1974 Jensen-Healy. Had so much stuff in
that car (with the hard top afixed) that when I unpacked the car in my
parents garage it completely hid the Jensen from view. I took a picture of
the car before unpacking and after unpacking. That run was accomplished at
a speed quite in excess of the posted limit.

Driving with my wife on the Han River Expressway in rush hour traffic in
Seoul Korea and tapping mirrors with other cars while still moving at speed!

Doing a NASA drivers school at Phoenix International in my 1958 TR-3.
Seeing the look on the instructors face after he got out of the car after
the first session to walk around and look at the tires. I was in a
continual drift all the way through the oval. He must have been satisfied
as he got back in the car and rode with me for two more sessions until I
got signed off. Of course he did have a big grin on his face the entire time.

The first time you draft and late break another racer into a corner that he
does not think you can possibly pass him in - and making it stick on the
other side.

Seeing your son take his go-kart around the track for the first time.