fot

Re: [Fot] dual circuit brakes on a tr4

To: "Mark Vaden" <markvaden@gmail.com>,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] dual circuit brakes on a tr4
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:57:31 -0500
Due to my roll bar arrangement, a tilton pedal assembly woudn't work,
so we fabricated a knock off of the revington kit shown here:
http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/mainframe.asp?http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_display.asp?a=2&mscssid=X0XP0W21QF6M9LLGCRJN3HAGCXN46V5D&SiteLanguage=eng&CarType=TR4&PageType=default&ProductID=RTR4080LAK
(part number RTR4080LAK)

The sheetmetal is basically the same arrangement as stock, but
wider.  There's a linkage to connect the stock brake pedal to the
dual cylinders that works suprisingly well.  You put a spacer on the
bolt for the clutch cylinder to cover the new offset, and that works
suprisingly well too.

I have a different rear brake setup, so can't help with the bore size
question, but since the stock system sent the same pressure to all
wheels, I'd think the same size cylinders all around are appropriate.

I used girling remote reservoir cylinders that I sourced from DRE,
the formula vee folks.  With several sets of balance bars with the
center hole drilled in varying places, you can adjust the bias
without having the cockpit adjustable deal that doesn't look very
vintage.  You need pretty short cylinders, so the normal Tilton
master cylinders don't fit.  I seem to remember them coming up with
some shorty ones recently, though.

I can send some pics of the arrangement if desired.

We mocked it up and had a local fabricator actually made it.  Looks
like it belongs there.

- Tony