fot

Re: [Fot] The garage mahal

To: Ken Gano palm top <triumphs@consolidated.net>, Friends of Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] The garage mahal
From: Bill Sohl <billsohl@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:47:01 -0400
Ken wrote:
> I am soliciting design ideas.  My requirements are modest.  It needs to be
> 4 seasons building (i.e. have heat!)

Depending on the length of your heating season, the addition of heating
costs
can get expensive.  I have a detached garage that I don't have any permanent
heating system, but I can usually have several days in the months of Jan and
Feb
that are OK with a propane space heating unit.  I'm located in northwestern
part of New Jersey.

> be tall enough for a lift,

You'll be very happy with the height (mines 12 ft from floor to lower
rafter)
even if you never get a lift.  Consider also a taller than usual garage
door.
Mine has a single door that is 16' wide and 10' high.  Good hight also
allows higher shelving units.  The upper shelves may be a bit of a pain
to use, but keep them for items only needed occasionally and it is
fine.

> be permissible within the local historic district zoning ordinance

Check very carefully with the concstruction and zoning office in your town.
In some places, historic distric properties have severe restrictions on
what can be done.  Try to cultivate a friendly relationship with the
township
officials.  I had to apply for 3 variances when putting forth my plans.  The
variance application process usually takes several months.

> Charlie (SWMBO) says it has to be pretty.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl