fot

Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?

To: "Bill Babcock" <Billb@bnj.com>, "Jay Creel" <jaxonracing@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:58:47 -0500
If "Vintage means vintage" translates to "nothing later than 1972 (or
whenever) can run, ever," then there's a basic problem with that, as hinted
below by the phrase "The grand old cars don't show up as often any more."

I am in charge of the voting for the hall of fame of an organization of
professional motorsports journalists. We discovered some time ago that our
original division of pre-war and post-war (meaning WW II) had a problem. No
problem when we started doing this in the '70s when pre-war was basically
1890-1940, a 50-year span, while post-war was 1945-1970, a 25-year span. So
far, so good.

But by the time we got to the '90s, we discovered the potential pre-war
candidates were a finite group, and we'd elected most of the really good
ones. While the post-war candidates were an ever-growing group now
comprising nearly 50-years worth of drivers.

The solution? We abandoned pre-war and post-war and defined the categories
as "historic" and "modern" with the cutoff being 30 years ago. This meant
that the cutoff moved forward every year, so today a star from 1978 is
"historic era." and the historic era becomes infused with new candidates
each year just as the modern era is. (The idea for this pattern actually
comes from how the Baseball Hall does it, when a player transitions to being
an "old timer").

So what I'm saying is, if in 1988 a 25-year-old car (1963) was vintage, then
why in 2008 isn't a 1983 car -- or a car built. to 1983 specs -- vintage?

Especially since the idea behind vintage -- purportedly -- isn't about
winning but just about putting the grand old cars on the track again?

--Rocky Entriken