fot

Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?

To: jimdonick <whimsey1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, jimdonick wrote:

[stuff deleted]

> IF (not sure it will happen) the SCCA squeezes out a few more of the
> production classes I'd strongly recommend that guys take a look at the NASA
> organization in their area.  It may or may not fit their needs but it could
> very easily give you a home until you come to understand the inherent beauty
> and wisdom (as well as poetic truth) in building a TR2 or TR3 to come racing
> with us here in the VSCCA.

... meanwhile, NASCAR and the close relatives lick thier chops...

The problem with the production car classes in SCCA is that the numbers
are down. Why is that? I have no idea. But it's probably because there's a
limited number of participants all trying to compete in expanding classes.
Spec this and Spec that are one factor. But if they can get 40+ SM cars at
the runoffs and barely get 20 HP cars (and then a couple don't even take
the green at the race!), there's something wrong with the weaker class.

So, you get two options - talk or walk. Walking is easy. Talking is a lot
harder because you wind up trying to placate folks that are competitive
and know what they want. You make a new rule set and you wind up being the
bad guy if that new set doesn't align with the competitive guy's vision.
And if that person is a leader (highly likely) they can rallye folks
behind them (for example: XXXX org is full of idiots or whatever).

Is there an easy solution? NO. Absolutely NO. Is forming a new organiztion
the right thing to do? I'm not so sure. Of the folks that I've talked to
that do the NASA thing (for example), 100% of them also run SCCA. How is
DIVIDING the same people between two organiztions a good thing? Same thing
goes for classes. If there's 100 active Sports Racers nationally, how is
adding a Spec sports racer to the mix going to help? Does everyone chuck
thier car and start over? NO.

But this is a Triumphs list. We should talk about Triumphs. Where we play
with them is up to us individually. Period, the end.

> best to all
> jimdonick

Regards,
rml