fot

Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:41:25 -0700
Shit does indeed happen, and I'm still down in my shop every day,
fixing the result. Paint does get swapped, but it's only one way.

I always smile at people who think vintage racing isn't racing. I've
done just about every form of racing I can think of, and they're all
the same--at least they are the same for me. It's just the
ramifications of the screw ups that change.

On Jun 2, 2008, at 5:42 AM, JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/2/2008 12:17:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>jaxonracing@yahoo.com
>  writes:
> JW you said that the Triumph event at WGI will allow current spec
> cars?  Similar to the sprites at MO...
> Is it the size of this event that allows for this opportunity?
> Where will those cars be grouped, and are you expecting a good
> number of cars to participate?
> Size has nothing to do with it, so to speak.
>
> When we do marque features, they may be at any of our races. We like
> to put on a show that the spectators can relate to. When we do an
> all-Triumph special, we like to show the whole array of Triumph
> racing history. That is why the modern spec cars work at an event
> like that. They certainly are part of the marque's history.
>
> We will slot the later spec cars into appropriate race groups where
> they can run competitively. I would expect 100 Triumphs. We had 90
> Alfas and 150 MG's a few years ago.
>
> In case you care, we expect 40 Formula 5000's this year, many from
> New Zeland and the UK.
>
> Also, I picked up several references about folks wanting competitive
> and close racing. Y'all think Vintage Racin' is a bunch of car
> polishers tiptoeing around worrying about paint jobs still, I guess.
> You can race hard, close and fast, and still not bust your cars up.
> However, shit still happens...eh Bill? I guess you didn't lose any
> paint though!
>
> Bring out a legal car and I'm sure we have guys with similar cars
> that will hand you your ass. If Triumphs are your fancy, we have
> folks right on this list that will tell you how to prepare a good
> car...and then they will hand it to you on the track.
>
> Just an observation and I hate to generalize, but many current spec
> drivers seem to have a chip on their shoulder for some reason.
>
> This is not a WAR as someone put it. It is just bench racin' and
> truth tellin'. Too many people don't want to face truths head on.
>
> Y'all come to the Glen and we'll have a great time.
>
> Jack Woehrle
>

> Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler
> Florence" on AOL Food.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com