fot

[Fot] Triumph 4 speed O/D's and Layshaft bearing failures.

To: FOT list <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Triumph 4 speed O/D's and Layshaft bearing failures.
From: Glenn Franco via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 15:50:23 -0400

--000000000000c09cdc058fc89ac0

Just finished another A Type Overdrive rebuild this afternoon. Next one I
do I'm going to insist that the owner bring a spare 4 speed for parts or
maybe 2.
I very rarely find an overdrive transmission that the layshaft bearing next
to 1st that hasn't walked and tried to escape the case through the thrust
bearing. I have tried in vane to remove the laygear with one that ground
its way into the thrust bearing and sometimes the case. I sometimes get the
laygear out but in most cases the trans case with the laygear is sent to
scrap.
Does anyone have a solution, trick, special tool, to ease the laygear out.
The normal way is to remove the small thust bearing with a magnet so you
can tilt the laygear enough to get it out. I have even once resorted to a "
Slugger Slide Hammer" and chain wrapped around the laygear to get it out.
Didn't end well however.
I did read somewhere that someone is using a tapered roller bearing on that
end which would make more sense than the original design.
Please advise
Thanks in advance
Glenn
TR6, TR250, Miata, 47 MG TC For Sale, 73 BMW E10 2002 being restored

--000000000000c09cdc058fc89ac0

fternoon. Next one I do I&#39;m going to insist that the owner bring a spar=
e 4 speed for parts or maybe 2.</div><div>I very rarely find an overdrive t=
ransmission that the layshaft bearing next to 1st that hasn&#39;t walked an=
d tried to escape the case through the thrust bearing. I have tried in vane=
 to remove the laygear=C2=A0with one that ground its way into the thrust be=
aring and sometimes the case. I sometimes get the laygear out but in most c=
ases the trans case with the laygear is sent to scrap.</div><div>Does anyon=
e have a solution, trick, special tool, to ease the laygear out. The normal=
 way is to remove the small thust bearing with a magnet so you can tilt the=
 laygear enough to get it out. I have even once resorted to=C2=A0a &quot; S=
lugger Slide Hammer&quot; and chain wrapped around the laygear to get it ou=
t. Didn&#39;t end well however.</div><div>I did read somewhere that someone=
 is using a tapered roller bearing on that end which would make more sense =
10 2002 being restored</div></div>

--000000000000c09cdc058fc89ac0--

--===============1204146502093775095==

fot@autox.team.net