fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph 4 speed O/D's and Layshaft bearing failures.

To: Glenn Franco <brakey6666@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph 4 speed O/D's and Layshaft bearing failures.
From: John Styduhar via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 18:41:11 -0400
Cc: FOT list <fot@autox.team.net>

--0000000000009e2684058fcafd11

Glenn, are you saying that the layshaft bearing failure you described is
more prevalent when the tranny has an O/D or is it a general problem?
Thanks

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 3:52 PM Glenn Franco via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> Just finished another A Type Overdrive rebuild this afternoon. Next one I
> do I'm going to insist that the owner bring a spare 4 speed for parts or
> maybe 2.
> I very rarely find an overdrive transmission that the layshaft bearing
> next to 1st that hasn't walked and tried to escape the case through the
> thrust bearing. I have tried in vane to remove the laygear with one that
> ground its way into the thrust bearing and sometimes the case. I sometimes
> get the laygear out but in most cases the trans case with the laygear is
> sent to scrap.
> Does anyone have a solution, trick, special tool, to ease the laygear out.
> The normal way is to remove the small thust bearing with a magnet so you
> can tilt the laygear enough to get it out. I have even once resorted to a "
> Slugger Slide Hammer" and chain wrapped around the laygear to get it out.
> Didn't end well however.
> I did read somewhere that someone is using a tapered roller bearing on
> that end which would make more sense than the original design.
> Please advise
> Thanks in advance
> Glenn
> TR6, TR250, Miata, 47 MG TC For Sale, 73 BMW E10 2002 being restored

--0000000000009e2684058fcafd11

nn, are you saying that the layshaft bearing failure you described is more =
prevalent when the tranny has an O/D or is it a general problem?=C2=A0 Than=
 Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 3:52 PM Glenn Franco via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fo=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid=
 rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Just finished ano=
ther A Type Overdrive rebuild this afternoon. Next one I do I&#39;m going t=
o insist that the owner bring a spare 4 speed for parts or maybe 2.</div><d=
iv>I very rarely find an overdrive transmission that the layshaft bearing n=
ext to 1st that hasn&#39;t walked and tried to escape the case through the =
thrust bearing. I have tried in vane to remove the laygear=C2=A0with one th=
at ground its way into the thrust bearing and sometimes the case. I sometim=
es get the laygear out but in most cases the trans case with the laygear is=
 sent to scrap.</div><div>Does anyone have a solution, trick, special tool,=
 to ease the laygear out. The normal way is to remove the small thust beari=
ng with a magnet so you can tilt the laygear enough to get it out. I have e=
ven once resorted to=C2=A0a &quot; Slugger Slide Hammer&quot; and chain wra=
pped around the laygear to get it out. Didn&#39;t end well however.</div><d=
iv>I did read somewhere that someone is using a tapered roller bearing on t=
hat end which would make more sense than the original design.</div><div>Ple=
, Miata, 47 MG TC For Sale, 73 BMW E10 2002 being restored</div></div>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/johnstydo@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/fot/johnstydo@gmail.com</a><br>

--0000000000009e2684058fcafd11--