fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph 4 speed O/D's and Layshaft bearing failures.

To: Glenn Franco <brakey6666@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph 4 speed O/D's and Layshaft bearing failures.
From: Jack Wheeler via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:47:24 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_4048653_323603286.1565527644238

 I have rebuilt many TR-3B through TR-6 gear boxes, both with and without o=
verdrive.=C2=A0 The failure mode you mention is common, where the lay gear =
grinds into the rear thrust washer, and sometimes into the housing.=C2=A0 H=
owever, I have never had trouble removing the lay gear.=C2=A0 Once I remove=
 the thrust washer, the lay gear lifts right out.=C2=A0 Am I missing someth=
ing?=C2=A0 Are you working on a Spitfire or GT-6 gearbox?
Once again, I pull the rear thrust washer out, generally with the transmiss=
ion oriented with the bell housing down.=C2=A0 Then, with the gearbox orien=
ted in the upright position, I lift up the end of the lay gear where I have=
 just removed the thrust washer.=C2=A0 Once it clears the boss at the rear =
of the housing, the lay gear comes right out.
Not sure this is any help, but that's my experience.
Jack Wheeler

    On Saturday, August 10, 2019, 3:52:18 PM EDT, Glenn Franco via Fot <fot=
@autox.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
 Just finished another A Type Overdrive rebuild this afternoon. Next one I =
do I'm going to insist that the owner bring a spare 4 speed for parts or ma=
ybe 2.I very rarely find an overdrive transmission that the layshaft bearin=
g next to 1st that hasn't walked and tried to escape the case through the t=
hrust bearing. I have tried in vane to remove the laygear=C2=A0with one tha=
t ground its way into the thrust bearing and sometimes the case. I sometime=
s get the laygear out but in most cases the trans case with the laygear is =
sent to scrap.Does anyone have a solution, trick, special tool, to ease the=
 laygear out. The normal way is to remove the small thust bearing with a ma=
gnet so you can tilt the laygear enough to get it out. I have even once res=
orted to=C2=A0a " Slugger Slide Hammer" and chain wrapped around the laygea=
r to get it out. Didn't end well however.I did read somewhere that someone =
is using a tapered roller bearing on that end which would make more sense t=
han the original design.Please adviseThanks in advanceGlennTR6, TR250, Miat=
a, 47 MG TC For Sale, 73 BMW E10 2002 being restored_______________________=
________________________
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

yahoo.com

 =20
------=_Part_4048653_323603286.1565527644238

"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">=
rough TR-6 gear boxes, both with and without overdrive.&nbsp; The failure m=
ode you mention is common, where the lay gear grinds into the rear thrust w=
asher, and sometimes into the housing.&nbsp; However, I have never had trou=
ble removing the lay gear.&nbsp; Once I remove the thrust washer, the lay g=
ear lifts right out.&nbsp; Am I missing something?&nbsp; Are you working on=
 a Spitfire or GT-6 gearbox?</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><b=
r></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Once again, I pull the rear =
thrust washer out, generally with the transmission oriented with the bell h=
ousing down.&nbsp; Then, with the gearbox oriented in the upright position,=
 I lift up the end of the lay gear where I have just removed the thrust was=
her.&nbsp; Once it clears the boss at the rear of the housing, the lay gear=
v dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Not sure this is any help, but that's m=
       =20
65f6fbyahoo_quoted">
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
               =20
                    On Saturday, August 10, 2019, 3:52:18 PM EDT, Glenn Fra=