Re: How much adjustment is normal?

To: Steve Hudson <shudson@io.com>
Subject: Re: How much adjustment is normal?
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 09:14:54 -0700
Steve has the adjustment method exactly right, John.  The
fact that your map is "too straight" and the speed is too
high both indicate that you need to go to adjustments and
decrease end speed.  Do this until the shape of the map
looks closer to you.  In most cases, I bet most of us use
just this one primary adjustment.

After you have the map looking close, meaning that most of
the corners appear about right, then you can fine tune the
map by adjusting just individual turns.  In some cases
you'll need to do this to make the course look right, but
please don't do it until you've done the primary adjustment
of the end-speed above.

The adjustments for endspeed DO affect your ratings.  The
reason why is that the forward acceleration potential is
dependent upon the speed the vehicle is moving.  As you
adjust the end-speed, you adjust the speed throughout the
run, and that effects ratings.  The most accurate ratings
are with the speed correct.  This will generally result in a
pretty good map as well.

If you want to get really picky about a map, you can usually
make it look almost exactly like the course.  Always start
with the end speed adjustment.  Use individual turn
adjustments only once you have the basics right with
end-speed.

Also, don't worry about calibration numbers under 250 or
so.  So a 149 is okay.  A calibration number of 500 or 1200
would not be okay.  Most incorrect calibration numbers are
either around 1200 or 2400.  These numbers indicate that
either the cube wasn't rolled onto the proper side, or it
was rolled onto the opposite side.  Numbers from 250 down
are believable, and numbers from 0-150 are pretty normal.

--Byron