Re: How much adjustment is normal?

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: How much adjustment is normal?
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 16:33:38 -0700
I assume you mean end speeds that are 50mph or more higher
than is realistic?

That's pretty extreme.  The speeds tend to drift, and they
tend to drift upwards.  This is because oversteer will
erroniously increase your speed within GEEZ.  Here's how:

A nuetral handling car is traveling in a direction perfectly
perpendicular to the force being generated.  In this case
lateral g's are fine, and accel g's remain unaffected by the
lateral component.

An oversteering vehicle is not perpendicular to the force,
rather it's nose is in slightly, and it's tail is out
slightly.  This means that the car is slightly tilted
towards the force, which puts some of the force down the
longitudinal line of the car where it's read as
acceleration.

An understeering vehicle has an opposite problem, in theory
anyway, but the problem tends to be much less.  An
understeering car tends to still be well within the linear
range, meaning that the error is pretty much un-noticable by
GEEZ.  But us macho, tail-out, CP wannabe-types can maintain
that attitude for quite a distance around a turn, and when
we do, the speed will really go up in a hurry.

So, I won't say it's common, but I have seen it before.

Oh, and the automatic zero calibration, which occurs when
you press Start or AutoStart, can also be a culprit, as
another write said earlier.  If you set your AutoStart with
the nose of the car downhill, then just coming back to level
looks like some forward acceleration.

--Byron