Re: How much adjustment is normal?

To: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Subject: Re: How much adjustment is normal?
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 07:17:08 -0400
Hi Byron,

At 04:33 PM 5/8/00 -0700, Byron Short wrote:
>I assume you mean end speeds that are 50mph or more higher
>than is realistic?

Well, I originally was thinking of end speeds of 50 mph when
I was expecting to see more 20 or 25 mph, but in some cases
I was seeing numbers that were 50 mph or more above the expected
speeds (see my response to Dick Rasmussen's post).

>That's pretty extreme.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

>The speeds tend to drift, and they
>tend to drift upwards.  This is because oversteer will
>erroniously increase your speed within GEEZ.

Hmmmmm, my car does oversteer a bit; its not real extreme in
that regard - at least, it does not oversteer quite as much
as it did when I first bought it, but I can certainly throw
the tail out with the throttle.

<interesting explanation snipped>

>So, I won't say it's common, but I have seen it before.

OK, is there an adjustment that I should make (other than playing
with end speeds and trimming the finish) that would help me here?
Or is this something that is just part of the character of the car,
and as long as I'm comparing runs in the same car that it comes
out in the wash?

>Oh, and the automatic zero calibration, which occurs when
>you press Start or AutoStart, can also be a culprit, as
>another writer said earlier.  If you set your AutoStart with
>the nose of the car downhill, then just coming back to level
>looks like some forward acceleration.

That might have been a contributing factor in this case, but it
was probably rather minor as I was facing in the "more level
direction" at this lot when I set the Autostart.

Thanks very much,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu