Re: Does this thinkin' follow??? (100-4)...

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Does this thinkin' follow??? (100-4)...
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:53:25 -0400
Rich C wrote:
> When adjusting the shoes to the drum bring the drum around until you
> find the place that binds. Having found that spot, tap the drum with a
> rawhide hammer or block of wood and hammer. This will help to centralize
> the shoes a little better in the drum.

You may be doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

I don't want to sound contradictory, but it's probably best to nip this
in the bud before someone spends a *lot* of time unfruitfully and
frustratingly.

The once- or twice-per-rev touching or binding has nothing to do with
the shoes being centered in the drum; it has to do with the drum braking
surface not being concentric with the bearing.  IF the drum has a little
room to move radially (a bad thing, but it's possible), THEN, tapping
can relieve the symptom.  Otherwise, if the drum (correctly) has no
radial freedom of movement, then nothing's going to change.

The shoes are self-centering, in any event.

Best regards,
--
John Miller