Re: If the Concours Committee Really Wanted To Help.... (Long)

To: "tammie wall" <whammie@iopener.net>, <jnew@hazelden.ca>,
Subject: Re: If the Concours Committee Really Wanted To Help.... (Long)
From: "Me" <mikebn2@win.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 16:54:12 -0400
I disagree.  The many eyes theory would not necessarily jeopardize the
integrity of the information in the concours booklets.  The suggested
submissions from online review should still go through a review of those on
the committee just as changes now do.  The concours committee should be the
only ones that can manage and control the content.  Just because it would be
available as a pdf file to download doesn't mean anybody could change it.

We have, to some extent, a fairly unique set of circumstances in trying to
establish what is 'original' (concours) and what is not.  In some cases the
build information is very limited or doesn't exist at all.  In some cases
things were changed on a whim right on the assembly line.  I heard Donald
and Geoff say in person that sometimes when the cars were painted red and
the next one was supposed to be white they might not do a very good job of
cleaning out the spray equipment.  So whose to say exactly what the actual
tint of white that car would be.  Almost pink, perhaps!!!!  It sure wouldn't
be an accurate OEW.

I think given the complexities of the situation and, in a lot of cases, the
lack of information,  that the concours committee has done a terrific job of
historically piecing together bits of information to be assembled in a
coherent, usable guide.  In time we will have used up all of the resources
for improving the completeness of the guide and the guide will then be very
stable.  Until then, all we can do is evaluate the information presented and
judge its accuracy based on the knowledge of those that are still with us
and the little bits of written information to determine if that new piece of
information should be added to the guide.  I think the people that have
devoted so much of their waking moments to getting these guides together are
owed a huge debt of appreciation by the rest of us in the Healey community.
Just because I will likely never own a concours Healey doesn't mean I don't
appreciate the work of the committee and all the judges.  I also am quick to
recognize the importance of having accurate information as to what was
original.

IMHO the guides should be available for free on the www and those that
continue to have their Healeys judged in the concours arena should continue
to pay the usual fee for that service.  If the person that spends 1000 hours
building a concours Healey and/or writing a lot of big checks doesn't pay
the fee,  then that car doesn't get judged.  This isn't a complicated
situation.

Mike
mikebn2@win.net