Re: scuttle 'shake, rattle and roll'

To: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: scuttle 'shake, rattle and roll'
From: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:51:44 +0100
Well, in the 70's electronics were very expensive gimmicks. Remember the
prices for the first desk top electronic calculators? Nowadays
electronics are not only cheap, they give far more possibilities which
is demonstrated by the latest balancing machines. Also the aligning
machines (or what their name in the US may be) of the old days cannot be
compared with the present ones. The 'tendency for a wheel to turn in or
out' is now measured by one revolution of a wheel and is automatically
compensated for in the measuring sequence that follows. And putting two
weights on a wheel, opposite each other, to compensate is a method of
the past as well.
I would like to add, however, that 'shaving' a tire, like mentioned by
one of the listers, is another possibility  to do away with vibrations.
It is sometimes surprising to see that brand new, modern tires slip
through the factory inspection and are put on the market with over 100
thou throw - I had it with a Michelin tire. And as you don't expect such
a manufacturing error it takes a hell of a time before you find out!
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432