Re: scuttle 'shake, rattle and roll'

To: "P.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Subject: Re: scuttle 'shake, rattle and roll'
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:42:02 -0700
Hello Jack,

I remember 50 years ago. Tires had not yet become radial. Many were not
perfectly round. The wealthier fanatics had their tires "shaved" to
round. I personally took the claims of reduced vibration & longer tire
life as snake oil. In good part because I couldn't afford the
considerable extra cost. I also reasoned that it was just cutting
perfectly good tread off & making worn tires out of new tires.

Belted tires came along & then radials. It was thought by many that this
new belted design eliminated the need for expensive tire truing & the
practice pretty much fell by the wayside. Fairly good results were
achieved as balancing equipment became more sophisticated. The so called
"road roller" balancing machines brought a whole new idea into the
picture in that they simulated actual tire to road contact. This method
may or may not compensate for out of round tires.

In the final picture, tires that are not perfectly round, some are
close, some are not, will benefit by shaving/truing that cannot be
accomplished in another way. The final touches for a perfect balance
job. If new tires are shaved, a really bad one can be detected &
substituted before it ever goes out the door. Few sellers are willing to
go to this trouble & even fewer buyers are willing to go to the
additional expense of truing tires.

For another reason, street tires used in competition are often shaved to
reduce tread depth & give more stability to the tread which results in
better traction/handling. I know from experience that there is no down
side to shaving/truing except the extra cost.

Dave Russell
BN2