Healey knowledge base

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Healey knowledge base
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:33:28 -0500
The thought occurs, as it probably has to others before, that it would be
great to have a database on-line organized by topics for Healey related
topical data. I have been saving posts for a number of months in areas that
interest me, and find much of what I have saved invaluable.

Would it make sense to get a database server running that could be searched by
model, part #, part description, car system, and other parameters. Modern
Sequel-driven databases can contain thumbnails to *'.jpg images that would
load up fairly fast (I use this in my office and insert 600 dpi 8.5x10 inch
images into a document in 10 sec or so).

I am thinking of a database that is widely democratic, and not 'edited' for
technical accuracy. The recent 'scuttle shake' threads, for example, contain a
wide range of disagreeing viewpoints on the necessity for scuttle opening
reinforcement in 100-4's, for example, some pro, some not, and the full
collection is quite useful. What the database could do, where there is
disagreement, is provide a separate field for {unanimous, 'some think', 'some
caution against', etc.} check boxes that would invisibly reveal the body of
all threads, and let the user compare options and areas of dissent. Also
possible, is a checklist that would automatically display multiple trouble
shooting items (e.g., in scuttle shake, multiple causes such as drum balance,
wheel balance, shock fluid, shock mount integrity, panel sealers, and scuttle
reinforcement showed up in my composite list of your several excellent
threads).

Another neat feature of a web-launched database is that, with some care in
firewalling, the body of accumulated material can be made read-only, but
subscribers can post inputs to a number of dedicated 'uplink' pages.

If anyone is interested in such a project, I would be glad in writing the guts
of the database in Access if some others would take a hand in collecting
articles, photos, and List threads. Also need ideas for a low-cost server that
could provide the database to all users.

Allen Miller