Re: Does Anybody's Healey Run Well All or Most of the Time

To: "Kent McLean" <kentmclean@mindspring.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Does Anybody's Healey Run Well All or Most of the Time
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:46:08 -0800
Geez Ned, you sure know how to stir this group up.

Most of the time we post if there is a problem, every once and a while you
will get a post about a particularly glorious and trouble free drive, but
every drive in a Healey is somwhat glorious and many are trouble free, so
the list would soon be overwhelmed if we posted all of them.

Getting to your specific question and situation, much of the time "our" cars
are bought after a restoration or period of long strage, either way they
need sorting, and troublew will pop-up, if you have perserveance and a
little know how you just keep driving and fixing, and the problems that tend
not to stay fixed (ignition and fuel pump have been mentioned, replace the
points, cap, condesor, rotor, and wires as maitenance some time when they
are still working, stick the old units that you know worked in your trunk
and you have piee of mind) you learn to carry a spares, or what is needed to
fix and/or upgrade to more modern equipment.

Anyway, back to the perserverance and know how, if you keep driving and
fixing over time the problems crop up less and less, and the above
description from what you have posted sounds like it describes where you are
coming from and where you are going with Healey Ownership.

The last problem of consequence I had with my BN1 was about 2 years ago when
the thermostat stopped opening, easy and cheap to diagnose and fix, when I
first got the car it was like every month or so something would crop up,
over time (perserverance, know how, help from the list, etc) this frequency
has gotten less and less, and the best part is every part of the journey is
a blast.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1