Re: Removing the overdrive

To: Ron Fine <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Removing the overdrive
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:04:37 -0800
Ron:

Ouch!  But remember that we've all done stuff like that - for sure more than
once in my case.

I strongly recommend removing the gearbox/od to do the fix.  It is possible
to get the overdrive off the gearbox in the car, but it's really really
tricky to get it back on again without doing some damage that will catch you
out later - IMHO, just not worth it.

The gearbox comes out relatively easily in a Healey - I've always done it
through the passenger compartment and door with the seats and carpets out,
and everything protected with towels, pads, whatever is handy.  A second
pair of hands is the way to go for the few critical minutes during both
removal and installation.

You're going to have to check the oil pump in the overdrive - if the
mainshaft was rotated at all, the backwards cam might have damaged the
pump - it's happened to me.  You only want to be doing this once, right!

If you decide to give it a go, I (and many others on this list) can walk you
through some of the little things to watch out for, lots of us have done it
many times.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb