Re: Dip Stick Method for Gas level

To: Mark Goodman <mkgoodman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Dip Stick Method for Gas level
From: Skip <tfsbj7@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:46:01 -0400
Yes, I made a dip stick several years ago... I use it every once in
awhile to be sure I know how much fuel is in the tank.

I calibrated it by driving until I was pretty sure the tank was nearly
empty... (easily done by driving until the tank is indeed empty... just
carry a jerry can of gas in the trunk so you can drive to the nearest
gas station)

Then I added a little over 4 gallons and sticked the tank.. then I
notched the stick (at this point I had about 5 gallons in the tank...
i.e. jerry can plus what came from the pump).    Then I added 5 gallons
and sticked the tank again, and made a new notch on the stick... Then I
added 5 more gallons and made a new notch... then I filled the tank
(just about another 5 gallons) and notched the stick for the "full"
line.

The stick sits in the boot just under the hinge... easy to get to if I'm
travelling and a great confidence booster if I've not used the car for a
while and am nervous about interpreting the fuel gauge...

Others may have better ideas, but this works for me....

-skip-