Re: Dip Stick Method for Gas level

To: "Esko and Megan Cate" <ptenmcate@cablespeed.com>,
Subject: Re: Dip Stick Method for Gas level
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:04:58 -0500
OK, can't resist, if you ask my brother I have my own "Dip Stick Method for
Checking Gas Level"

The year after I got my Healey I was still doing various running adustments
replacements etc, for reliable operation, but nevertheless took it on a long
road trip.

I had just replaced the sender unit and float in the tank, hadn't really
gotten the calibration down.

About 130 miles into Iowa on the way to the vintage races at Road America my
brother suggested I get some gas, not having taken the Healey on a long road
trip before I was guestimating mileage based on my prior Triumph of similar
size and weight, the Healey didn't quite go as far on a gallon of petrol as
the old TR4a,

We ran out of gas, the station we had just passed didn't seem that far back
so we started walking, well 5 minutes in the car is maybe an hour on foot,
after 45 minutes a very nice man in an older caddy picked us up, saving us
about an hour and a half, but we still lost about that much time.

Did I mention it was in the 90s that day?

So at least to some people I am the human dip stick.

Cheers!

Greg Lemon
54 BN1