Re: cooling fan

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cooling fan
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:27:50 -0700
Ned,

re:

"I have a 160 degree thermostat and it runs at 160 on cold nights. Is
this too cold?"

Yep.  You're probably not getting your oil hot enough to vaporize
condensed combustion
byproducts.  This can lead to the formation of acidic compounds in your
oil (though you
probably change your oil often enough it's not a huge problem).  You
probably
have to run richer for your engine to run OK, and might be washing down
your cylinder
walls with excess petrol.

Bet your heater doesn't work too good, either (well, even worse than a
typical Healey ;)

bs