[Healeys] Motor vehicle insurance in US

Subject: [Healeys] Motor vehicle insurance in US
From: richard.ewald at gmail.com (Richard Ewald)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 06:41:11 -0700
In the US liability coverage (personal injury/ property damage) is NOT
included in a rental as the renter's personal insurance extends to rentals.
Loss damage waiver covers the rental car and is a no deductible collision/
comprehensive policy.
You might check with your personal auto insurance policy to see if any of the
coverages will extend to a rental in the US. (My auto policy extends to Canada
for example)
Hope this helps
Rick
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 27, 2011, at 6:12, John Rowe <jarowe at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> We are currently arranging our travel plans for our forthcoming trip to the
New England states.

> Could someone please explain the current status of MV insurance in the US.
>
> On booking a hire car the general conditions of hire seem to infer that
there is no insurance on the car within the hire rate and that ALL insurance
has to be taken out by the hirer.

> In Australia we have a system where Third Party Personal Insurance is
included with the Registration or Licence costs and is COMPULSORY. Therefore
if my concentration momentarily wavers and I hit a pedestrian (Heaven forbid)
any costs associated with the injury of that pedestrian are covered by the
compulsory Third Party Insurance. (Any other costs associated with my being
arrested for reckless driving are to my account.)