[Healeys] Motor vehicle insurance in US

Subject: [Healeys] Motor vehicle insurance in US
From: glemon at neb.rr.com (Greg Lemon)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:29:19 -0500
" One of the Insurance options that I can take out refers to the other
 driver being uninsured.

 What insurance are drivers and car owners required to take out, if any?"

 John Rowe
 Perth
 west oz.

On the uninsured driver question, insurance requirements vary from state to
state, but I believe most all states require drivers to carry liability
insurance.  Nonetheless the nationwide estimate is about 14% of drivers
being uninsured.

I know in my state you are required to show proof of insurance when you
license your car.

I know in my state some people drive on expired plates or get insurance when
they license the car and cancel soon afterwards.  Anyway, the chances of
having an accident with an uninsured driver are not insignificant in the
good old USA.  Needless to say most that do not have insurance did not skip
paying their premium because they have enough money in the bank to be able
to self insure.

Many states have unisured motorist rates well over 20%.

Greg Lemon, Nebraska