Re: [Healeys] asbestos lookalike insulation sheet

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] asbestos lookalike insulation sheet
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 09:25:01 -0800

--------------1018A26AC4C2327AC64C996E

Yep. Asbestos 'dust' is actually tiny/microscopic fibers; this is what
makes it so dangerous (the usual cause of mesothelioma). The fibers are
small enough to get trapped in the alveoli (air sacs) in the lungs, but
too large to be coughed-out (or vice versa). Pretty much any small
particulate matter is bad news in the lungs, possibly causing silicosis.
Since we've all probably got a lifetime supply of face masks anyway it's
probably a good idea to don one--N95 are of course the best--any time
you might inhale particles larger than an oxygen molecule and smaller
than a marble. When my dad bought our BN2 he went to town on the engine
bay with a pressure washer, destroying the panels and leaving wet,
fibrous stuff everywhere. If you get one of the asbestos pieces off the
car--with proper precautions--it could be reused if properly 'sealed,'
using a quality high-temperature paint.

Here in California's Central Valley, there is a little-known disease
called 'valley fever,' caused by a fungus living in the soil that can be
fatal and usually causes some scarring of lung tissue. CA natives like
myself probably got it early in life and have some immunity; non-natives
can become very sick with it (my uncle, who was born in CA, got it). The
prison industry is big in CA, and imprisoned non-natives are susceptible
to it. My retired Marine Lt. Colonel cousin told me a Marine got very
sick and the drs. were stumped; he suggested valley fever and the Marine
was treated for that and survived. Also, the hunta virus is present in
the Southwest, and some parts of CA. I keep my smaller Healey parts in
an old dresser; yesterday I opened a drawer and a mouse jumped up on the
side. I contemplated grabbing him and, err, 'euthanizing' him, but
thoughts of hunta, rabies, etc. caused momentary paralysis and he made
good on his escape.

On 1/14/2021 8:16 AM, Jean Caron wrote:

> I have always been told that it is the dust of asbestos that is
> dangerous, not the board itself. I recall many years ago helping a
> friend with these on his Austin-Healey and he was totally afraid of
> even removing these panels, he was wearing a mask, and then a shield
> and gloves, that?s even before they had these ?hazmat? suits.
> Meanwhile he smoked a pack to a pack and half of cigarettes daily
> which eventually and unfortunately took his life.
>
> Jean

> Windows 10

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    Yep. Asbestos 'dust' is actually tiny/microscopic fibers; this is
    what makes it so dangerous (the usual cause of mesothelioma). The
    fibers are small enough to get trapped in the alveoli (air sacs) in
    the lungs, but too large to be coughed-out (or vice versa). Pretty
    much any small particulate matter is bad news in the lungs, possibly
    causing silicosis. Since we've all probably got a lifetime supply of
    face masks anyway it's probably a good idea to don one--N95 are of
    course the best--any time you might inhale particles larger than an
    oxygen molecule and smaller than a marble. When my dad bought our
    BN2 he went to town on the engine bay with a pressure washer,
    destroying the panels and leaving wet, fibrous stuff everywhere. If
    you get one of the asbestos pieces off the car--with proper
    precautions--it could be reused if properly 'sealed,' using a
    quality high-temperature paint.<br>
[...]
    he made good on his escape. <br>
cite="mid:DM6PR17MB25073EAB17A3F8CD258F2B46D1A80@DM6PR17MB2507.namprd17.prod.outlook.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style>
          of asbestos that is dangerous, not the board itself. I recall
          many years ago helping a friend with these on his
          Austin-Healey and he was totally afraid of even removing these
          panels, he was wearing a mask, and then a shield and gloves,
          that?s even before they had these ?hazmat? suits. Meanwhile he
          smoked a pack to a pack and half of cigarettes daily which
          eventually and unfortunately took his life.</p>
            href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
            moz-do-not-send="true">
            Mail</a> for Windows 10</p>
          style="mso-element:para-border-div;border:none;border-top:solid
          #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
            </b><a href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a><br>
            <b>To: </b><a href="mailto:healeyguy@aol.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">'Perry Small'</a><br>
            <b>Cc: </b><a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            <b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys] asbestos lookalike insulation
            sheet</p>
          everyone regarding the sheet.
          I gave it a gentle pry, per Perry's advice, and then one
          rather less gentle.<br>
          It just popped off. Intact and without cracking or breaking. <br>
          I wonder if it is asbestos. It looked to be in really good
          condition, but it<br>
          was there when I bought the car back in '96.<br>
          Anyhow, I was able to easily put the slide's 3 T-nuts in and
          reinstall the<br>
          sheet. All suitably masked of course.<br>
          Simon<br>
          -----Original Message-----<br>
          Notice the square blocks attached to the big sheet. They have
          been known to<br>
          bond themselves to the bottom of the floor pan. Gentle pry
          them loose. <br>
          Perry<br>

--------------1018A26AC4C2327AC64C996E--

--===============1055590683076281343==