Re: [Healeys] asbestos lookalike insulation sheet

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] asbestos lookalike insulation sheet
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 09:44:31 -0800

--------------E1A029E8638232F394B32A81

Steve McQueen (the actor) died of mesothelioma. Urban legend says he
contracted it from working in a brake shop--Healey content: I believe he
campaigned a Sprite for a while--but it's more likely he got it in the
Navy. True to character, he was a 'bad boy' and for punishment was
assigned to clean up parts of the ships that were insulated with
asbestos. It wasn't an intentional death sentence; it was before the
dangers of asbestos were widely known.

I caught a news item years ago about a city in Russia that got its
entire revenue from a nearby asbestos mine. The city is mostly abandoned
now, for good reason, but a few stragglers stuck aroun. One was an
octogenarian who had worked in the mine most of his life but never got
sick from it. Do they have lotteries in Russia? If so, he should buy a
ticket.

On 1/14/2021 8:42 AM, m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca wrote:

> I believe it is a bit more than just ?dust? as if you were cutting
> it.  Asbestos is fiberous and the fibres are composed of microscopic
> components that will shed with any abrasion, even simple handling.
> The microscopic fibrils become airborne and are easily inhaled.  They
> can also adhere to your skin and clothing and be transferred later,
> after the job is finished.  I am no expert, but suspect a short,
> once-in-a-lifetime exposure are probably not a risk, but why take even
> a small risk when exposure is easily prevented.
>
> What worries me is when I look back to when I was a kid working in a
> gas station in the 60s and when the mechanics did a brake job, the
> first thing they did after removing the brake drums was take an air
> hose and blow the brake dust off the shoes and backing plate etc.  Of
> course brake material had asbestos fibres in it back then and these
> clouds of black asbestos-filled dust would fill the shop for us all to
> enjoy.
>
> Cheers, Mirek

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
    Steve McQueen (the actor) died of mesothelioma. Urban legend says he
    contracted it from working in a brake shop--Healey content: I
    believe he campaigned a Sprite for a while--but it's more likely he
    got it in the Navy. True to character, he was a 'bad boy' and for
    punishment was assigned to clean up parts of the ships that were
    insulated with asbestos. It wasn't an intentional death sentence; it
    was before the dangers of asbestos were widely known.<br>
    I caught a news item years ago about a city in Russia that got its
    entire revenue from a nearby asbestos mine. The city is mostly
    abandoned now, for good reason, but a few stragglers stuck aroun.
    One was an octogenarian who had worked in the mine most of his life
    but never got sick from it. Do they have lotteries in Russia? If so,
    he should buy a ticket.<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca";>m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:00c101d6ea94$2f00cf90$8d026eb0$@sympatico.ca">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle19
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
            believe it is a bit more than just ?dust? as if you were
            cutting it.  Asbestos is fiberous and the fibres are
            composed of microscopic components that will shed with any
            abrasion, even simple handling.  The microscopic fibrils
            become airborne and are easily inhaled.  They can also
            adhere to your skin and clothing and be transferred later,
            after the job is finished.  I am no expert, but suspect a
            short, once-in-a-lifetime exposure are probably not a risk,
            but why take even a small risk when exposure is easily
            prevented.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            worries me is when I look back to when I was a kid working
            in a gas station in the 60s and when the mechanics did a
            brake job, the first thing they did after removing the brake
            drums was take an air hose and blow the brake dust off the
            shoes and backing plate etc.  Of course brake material had
            asbestos fibres in it back then and these clouds of black
            asbestos-filled dust would fill the shop for us all to
            enjoy.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            Mirek<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
            1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
                lang="EN-US"> Healeys
                <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 <b>On Behalf Of
                </b>Jean Caron<br>
                <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>;
 'Perry
                Small' <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeyguy@aol.com";>&lt;healeyguy@aol.com&gt;</a><br>
                <b>Cc:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] asbestos lookalike
                insulation sheet<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          of asbestos that is dangerous, not the board itself. I recall
          many years ago helping a friend with these on his
          Austin-Healey and he was totally afraid of even removing these
          panels, he was wearing a mask, and then a shield and gloves,
          that?s even before they had these ?hazmat? suits. Meanwhile he
          smoked a pack to a pack and half of cigarettes daily which
          eventually and unfortunately took his life.<o:p></o:p></p>
            href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
            moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for Windows 10<o:p></o:p></p>
          1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm">
              href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a><br>
            <b>To: </b><a href="mailto:healeyguy@aol.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">'Perry Small'</a><br>
            <b>Cc: </b><a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            <b>Subject: </b>Re: [Healeys] asbestos lookalike insulation
            sheet<o:p></o:p></p>
          everyone regarding the sheet. <br>
          I gave it a gentle pry, per Perry's advice, and then one
          rather less gentle.<br>
          It just popped off. Intact and without cracking or breaking. <br>
          I wonder if it is asbestos. It looked to be in really good
          condition, but it<br>
          was there when I bought the car back in '96.<br>
          Anyhow, I was able to easily put the slide's 3 T-nuts in and
          reinstall the<br>
          sheet. All suitably masked of course.<br>
          Simon<br>
          -----Original Message-----<br>
          Notice the square blocks attached to the big sheet. They have
          been known to<br>
          bond themselves to the bottom of the floor pan. Gentle pry
          them loose. <br>
          Perry<br>

--------------E1A029E8638232F394B32A81--

--===============1046937456125977703==