Re: rev limiter

To: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rev limiter
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:10:51 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
A friend fitted one to his factory V8 which I think just connected to the
switched side of the coil.  I was a bit concerned about this as it was
adjustable and he set it using the cars rev counter so that it was on the
edge of the red line when the limiter was active.  Since the limiter cuts
some firing cycles, and it is firing cycles that trigger the rev counter, it
seemed to me that the engine was probably spinning faster than the rev
counter was indicating.  The needle certainly shot into the red at WOT and
dropped back (to the edge of the red) once the limiter had cut in.  Could it
just have been the mechanical energy in the needle that threw it into the
red i.e. it was a false reading?  Personally if I had been setting it up I'd
have slowly taken it towards the red and adjusted it to activate on a slowly
rising needle, rather than when it was fully active at WOT.