Corrosion Control

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Corrosion Control
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:45:34 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
     I found a study done at the University of Virginia on corrosion
prevention chemicals. Yes, an actual independent university study. It
compares 2 Dinitrol products (AV8 and AV30), LPS3, and Amiguard. They all
are good, but Dinitrol doesn't appear to be widely available in the US (you
can bring it across the Canadian border, along with Cuban cigars), even
though our British brethren swear by it and have full access to it.
     The file is about 300K. I lost the original web-link so I can't post
that, but I'll sent the report to anyone interested. You can all form your
own conclusions, but to me LPS 3 looks like the clear winner, and it is
cheap in comparison to the others and Waxoyl (a gallon of LPS 3 for ~$28.00
U.S.). While the test doesn't include Waxoyl, I believe that the wicking and
water displacement properties of Dinitrol and LPS 3 are far superior to any
wax/oil based product. And , no I don't have stock in any of these companies
 I just started to look for alternatives to Waxoyl after reading an article
about Dinitrol in the V8 newsletter (Barrie, did you pen that?).  Had one
hell of a time finding US sites on Dinitrol. Found this study, and started
looking for LPS 3 on the web, and found it all over the place. Spray cans
are ~$6.00 US.
James J.

ps. A little bit of trivia: Saying U.S. after the $ sign is a little
redundant from a historical viewpoint. The original sign for the U.S.
dollars was a U stamped over an S. This morphed into the S with the two
vertical lines through it (think of 1920's era publications). Then, being
the lazy bastards we are, this became the S with a single vertical line
through it that we all know today $. We have the distinct honor of being the
only nation who's initials are (were) the sign of our money. Then again
our founding fathers were all business men.

p.p.s Waxoyl seems to be completely unknown outside of the LBC community (no,
I don't mean the Long Beach Community gang south of LA, made famous in so many
rap songs). I've been lurking in a few body-work/paint discussion groups on
the web, and every time I mention Waxoyl in a post, I get lots and lots of
questions from experienced bodymen asking about this mysterious concoction.
Hundreds and hundreds of poor American cars are being restored with nothing
sprayed inside of their rocker panels!!! Waxoyl needs to increase there
marketing efforts here in the states. They should publish calendars of
bikini-clad women putting Waxoyl into American classic cars, and mail them off
to body-shops across the US. It worked for Snap-On.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
IMSTP.gif]