Painting rubber bumpers

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Painting rubber bumpers
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 7:05:35 -24000
While I'm not thrilled about painting a rubber bumper (the concerns about
cracked paint due to parking lot dings are legitamate) I'm a whole lot less
thrilled about paying $700 for a new bumper.

[slight digression] The degradation of the rubber due to the sun and weather
is irreversible.  People talk about rubber "drying out", and how the"oil" can
be put back into plastic or rubber parts by their products.  My recollection
is that all polymers are chains of carbon molecules with hydrogens hanging
off.  Ultraviolet light from the sun breaks those C-C bonds, and you can't
put them back together again.

I do wonder whether there are products out there that could be used to coat a
bumper, but that would stretch enough to withstand parking lot incidents
without tearing.  Does anyone know of such a product?

As an alternative, is it possible to take a rubber bumper 'B back to chrome
bumpers?

Sean Johnson
'79 MGB