Re: Fiat Bashing/accident prone

To: Ragthyme@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fiat Bashing/accident prone
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:54:39 -0500 (EST)
>4) Irrational belief in the safety of their vehicles, coupled with a callous
>disregard for the lives and health of others.  I call this the 'my minivan's
>better than yours' syndrome.  Americans are constantly being told that their
>vehicles are safer than ever, and they believe it ... even beyond what the
>advertisers claim.  There's been here a rash of young hooligans who steal
>cars with air bags and then drive them into walls .... just to get the airbag
>to inflate, thinking they are otherwise safe from a head-on collision with
>brick and masonry. ::shudder::  These safety claims lead to the belief that
>they will survive, more or less intact, any accident in which they are
>involved, despite frequent evidence to the contrary.  Moreover, they don't
>seem to realise that ALL cars don't have their safety features ... nor do
>they really seem to care.  What happens to the other fella in an accident
>(since it's obviously going to be his/her fault) is really not their problem.
>

>Just one Mick's take on the whole situation.
>
>Corey
>75 MGB 'Rags'
>Scared Witless on America's Highways

Adding to that irrational belief is the modern car's cushy suspension
and superior noise proofing. In a big sedan you get almost no sensation
of the speed you are going. I'm sure the cars are deliberatly designed
this way in the name of comfort. But is it really safe to feel you are
standing still at highway speeds, regardless of road conditions? In our
british sport cars we get the sensation of the wind and the feel of the
road. Sitting low to the ground, you notice how fast that pavement is
really going by. I have a much better appreciation of speed in my MG
than in my Detroit iron.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 9 months and counting