Re: Help needed...

To: Nick Pitt <nick.pitt@bbc.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Help needed...
From: Geoff Love <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 11:30:41 -0500
Nick Pitt wrote:

> Paul
>      The easiest way to turn the engine over it is,
> 1)   Remove (or at least loosen) the spark plugs.
> 2)   Put the car in gear, lower gears make it easier.
> 3)   Jack one rear wheel just clear of the ground.
> 4)   Now you can turn the engine over by turning this wheel (turning it as
> if the car is going forward will show you the direction of rotation of the
> engine).
>      The disadvantage of this method is that you might need a helper to tell
> you when the timing light goes on and off. The timing marks are a notch on
> the outside edge of the lower pulley on the front of the engine, and the set
> of teeth that stick out from the front engine plate just next to this
> pulley.
>      Good luck.
>
>           Nick (73 B Roadster)
>
>      ps. If this doesn't work then kick it!
>
>  ----------
> From: Paul M. Schwerdt
> To: mgs
> Subject: Help needed...
> Date: 17 January 1997 01:06
>
> I recently posted a note on here about rebuilding my distributor.
> Everyone was very helpful, and I thought my car was finally fixed.  But it
> still doesn't run.  I am pretty sure it is because the timing is really
> messed up.  (I took the clamp off, when I removed the distributor)  The
> reason why I think it is the timing is for the following reasons, the
> battery is new, and fully charged, I just replaced the coil, plugs, leads,
> cap, rotor, condenser, and points.  The car will turn over when the
> ignition is turned, but it never fires.  (I think this is the right
> description...)
>
> Is there anything that I am missing?  Or is the timing so messed up that
> the car won't fire?
>
> Plus, I went to try timing it today, and I was at a loss when trying to
> find the timing marks.  Plus, I don't know how to turn the crankshaft in
> order to align the missing marks.
>
> Please help, I am a beginner, so I might be missing something totally
> obvious.
>
> thanks...
>
>  -= PAUL =-
Nick: May I, in all deference to your suggestions to Paul, add my 10p's
worth.  I think it is highly inadvisable to merely loosen plugs when
attempting this kind of operation.  In the event the ignition is on, the
engine could fire, with possibly disasterous consequences.  Secondly, to
try to turn the rear road wheel while the car is in a low gear would
require a Herculean effort.

A method which I have found to be a safe and one handed operation, is:-

1.   Turn off the ignition, and remove the key. (An old aviator's trick
to avoid      accidental ignition)
2.   REMOVE the plugs completely.
3.   Make sure the car is on level ground.
4.   Engage top gear, and release the handbrake.
5.   While observing the engine timing mark, pull the car slowly forward
until the marks      are at the point you require.
6.   Make your adjustments to the timing.

Geoff Love, The English Connection