Re: Fuel leak on MGTD

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel leak on MGTD
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 24 Mar 1997 10:52:02 -0600
In <3335F209.2560@ici.net>, Bud Krueger wrote:
>James T. Dunn wrote:
>>       I have a fuel leak around the gasket on the sending unit
where it mounts >> on the fuel tank.   When I replace the gasket should I use
some type of
>> sealer on the gasket?  Any advice on any problem that I might have on
>> repairing the leak will be appreciated..
>>
>Hi Jim,
>       I'm Bud Krueger from Plymouth, Mass. I've been fighting the same leaks
>from the sending unit of my '52TD. One big problem - according to the
>folks at Loctite/Permatex, there is NO sealer for use in contact with
>gasoline. Is your leak at the edge of the circular mounting ring? or is
>it at the cover plate to the switch portion?  Sometimes the mounting
>surface becomes distorted from being overtightened. The solution is to
>file it flat before remounting it. Leaks around the mounting screws can
>sometimes be cured by adding neoprene o-rings to each mounting screw.
>Add a flat washer between the screwhead and the o-ring to prevent
>oozing. Good luck.

Well, the folks at Loctite/Permatex don't know anything about their
own products.  I have sealed many a sending unit with good old sloppy
old gungy old Permatex #2.  Works great (and you have semi-permanent
stains on your hands for days to prove you are macho).  Put the
#2 on the screws as well and don't tighten the screws too tight, that
will deform the gasket.  Despite all claims, _nothing_ else works.

                        A. B. Bonds