Re: Fuel leak on MGTD

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel leak on MGTD
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:21:42 -0800 (PST)
Hi A. B. Bonds!!

On 24 Mar 1997, A. B. Bonds wrote:

> Well, the folks at Loctite/Permatex don't know anything about their

Careful now...  things might not be what they seem

> own products.  I have sealed many a sending unit with good old sloppy
> old gungy old Permatex #2.  Works great (and you have semi-permanent

Yup, and so have I, in the GOOD OLD DAYS, when gas was just gas.

> stains on your hands for days to prove you are macho).  Put the

But on the back of the tube, in little tiny print, Permatex tells you
to use ALCOHOL to remove any unwanted Permatex #2.  Guess what a lot
of oil companies are adding to their gasoline nowadays?  As well as a
lot of weird volatile aromatic compounds that were never there before.

Alcohol is used as a fuel oxidiser additive to combat the emissions
problem during the winter months, in high smog level cities.  There is
a gas faq file in some of the auto newsgroups (Sorry, I don't know the
url) that explains things far better than I ever could.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen