Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 16:54:01 EDT
On Sat, 14 Jun 1997 21:37:40 -0400 (EDT) GMGoodman@aol.com writes:
>My '72 B has a condition I can't figure out.   When idling in neutral
>and the
>clutch pedal is depressed the idle rpms drop.......release the pedal
>and the
>rpms come back up......darned if I can figure it out.....but I'm not
>to smart
>..any ideas?
>     Thanks in advance        Jerry

Jerry,
  The drop in RPM is most likely caused by an increase in drag on the
engine caused by the pressure of the release bearing on the pressure
plate.
 Two possible causes
  1.  A worn and dragging release bearing .
  2.  Excessive play in the thrust bearings on the #3 main bearing cap.
When the clutch in depressed, the crank actually moves slightly in the
engine, putting more load on the thrust bearing than in otherwise has.
The increased friction causes the RPM to drop.

 Hope this helps.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget