Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:32:41 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Jerry!!

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997 GMGoodman@aol.com wrote:

> My '72 B has a condition I can't figure out.   When idling in neutral and the
> clutch pedal is depressed the idle rpms drop.......release the pedal and the
> rpms come back up......darned if I can figure it out.....but I'm not to smart

The "B"'s clutch release bearing is a carbon ring that rubs against a
circle of hardened steel.  While this combo has excellent anti-wear
properties, it does develop a lot more friction than a ball bearing
unit.  This friction is what's slowing down your engine; because the
engine is developing very little power at idle.  Rev up the engine past
peak torque rpm, and lock the throttle, and if you worked the clutch
release, you wouldn't see any drop in the rpm.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who's "B" speeds up when you put in the clutch
                   after sitting all day in the ski hill parking lot)