RE: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle
From: mpowell@cstone.net (Mike Powell)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 23:23:40 -0400
I agree also, but would warn that if you don't hear a noise, it doesn't
mean your throwout bearing _isn't_ worn out.  I didn't hear any noise, but
did experience the rpm-drop you talked about when the clutch was depressed.
 When I replaced the clutch (had a bad case of judder from oil leaking
through the engine rear main seal), I found that the carbon on the release
bearing was totally gone, as well as about half of the metal part of the
bearing!  All without a peep when the clutch was depressed.  After seeing
the release bearing, I was surprised the rpm's didn't drop more than they
did.

Mike
'74 B roadster
Charlottesville, VA