RE: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: RE: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:27:56 -0400

> My '72 B has a condition I can't figure out.   When idling in neutral and the
> clutch pedal is depressed the idle rpms drop.......release the pedal and the
> rpms come back up......darned if I can figure it out.....but I'm not to smart
> ..any ideas?
>     Thanks in advance        Jerry

Completely normal behavior.  The frictionn between the graphite clutch
release bearing and the clutch pressure plate has a slight braking effect
on the engine.  I believe I read somewhere that you are actually
supposed to set the idle speed with the clutch depressed.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II