Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle

To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov, GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:00:56 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-17 01:14:24 EDT, ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter
Schauss x 2014) writes:

<< > My '72 B has a condition I can't figure out.   When idling in neutral
and the
 > clutch pedal is depressed the idle rpms drop.......release the pedal and
the
 > rpms come back up......darned if I can figure it out.....but I'm not to
smart
 > ..any ideas?
 >     Thanks in advance        Jerry

 Completely normal behavior.  The frictionn between the graphite clutch
 release bearing and the clutch pressure plate has a slight braking effect
 on the engine.  I believe I read somewhere that you are actually
 supposed to set the idle speed with the clutch depressed.

 Peter Schauss >>

Gentlemen,

To take this thread just a bit further, it can also mean the graphite bearing
(or roller bearing, if that has been installed) is worn out. Been there, done
that.

Just how many RPM are you losing?

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon