Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: I'm Stumped Clutch/Idle
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:17:02 -0400
GMGoodman@aol.com wrote:

> My '72 B has a condition I can't figure out.   When idling in neutral
> and the
> clutch pedal is depressed the idle rpms drop.......release the pedal
> and the
> rpms come back up......darned if I can figure it out.....but I'm not
> to smart
> ..any ideas?
>      Thanks in advance        Jerry

  Hi Jerry,
      It's one of those things that we tend to take for granted and
overlook. The action that's performed when you depress the clutch pedal
is to cause the (carbon) clutch release bearing to drag on the engine so
that the clutch can 'slip' and disengage the engine from the gearbox. If
the clutch pedal is released, in neutral, the engine only has to
overcome the bearing and geartooth friction in the transmission. The
pressure of the release bearing is much greater.

Bud Krueger
'52TD