Re: Purchase of new MGA -Reply plus misc hooey

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: Purchase of new MGA -Reply plus misc hooey
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 17:40:09 -0700
I think the point I was trying to make is that
very few (I've never seen one at all) MGA types
use their sports cars for sport anymore.  There's
plenty of us flogging 'Bs around autocross tracks.

Sure there are A's in vintage "racing", but most
of that tends to be parade laps.

If the '98 911's cupholders are anything like the
ones in a Boxster, well, the Germans are trying to
get their point across.  The ones in the Boxsters
are little dealer supplied add on things, more
of a commentary on American automotive mis-understandings
than anything else.

Why is it "sports" cars have evolved like this?  The
sound systems and climate control and all?  It seems to
me that the owner of the Modern Sports Car, like a lot of
owners of certain bits of classic machinery, care more
about having something that appears sporting rather than
something that actually is, or more precisely something
that is actually used for sporting purposes.  Without
boring you with my personal philosophies, I see that
as a major problem with most of society today:  they
would rather appear to be something than actually being it.

I agree, we all have our own definition of what a sports
car is, and I feel confident in knowning that not only
do I own a few genuine sports cars, I use mine in sport.

I'm not saying everyone should go out and thrash their
trailer queens, um, I mean show cars.  It's just that
I'd love to see more old MGs actually being sports cars.
That's part of the whole reason behind my lil team.  We
wanted to take older machines and see what they could do.
I've seen FIAT X1/9s and Triumph Spitfires in DSP (D, Street
Prepared) set autocross lap times up there with the AS
and SS cars.  (Things like '97 Vettes, TT RX-7s, etc).
Admittedly these are modified cars.  And yes, for the most
part, for an MG to be competitive in SCCA events it
takes a few bits of Trick Racing Stuff.  But, that doesn't
stop more MG and/or multi-marque clubs from holding their
own autocrosses.  Just once a year instead of another
"lets line up our cars and go slow and call it a rally"
tour.

At one event put on by a great multi-marque club I was in,
they held a hill climb.  Only a few cars ran, and the only
one that was really trying was a fellow autocrosser (and
now team member) in his beautiful BRG w/white roof Mini.
I can understand the resto crowd not going out and searching
for "trouble", but I can't understand people with Healy 3000s,
MGAs, a Jensen Interceptor, etc, not wanting to run their
cars when the opportunity is easily available.

We, as old sports car lovers, are dealing with history.
And an important part of the history of old sports cars
is competition.

Of course this is a personal call.  Most important of all
is that we all have fun.

-Keith Wheeler

Team Sanctuary

ps:  The SCCA autocross regs still have MGAs and TCs
     listed in the classifications.  Sure there are
     a lot of faster cars, but then there were a lot
     of faster sports cars when these MGs were new.
     I'd love to have someone with an A on the team!