Re: Purchase of new MGA -Reply plus misc hooey

To: keithw@sand.net, bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com
Subject: Re: Purchase of new MGA -Reply plus misc hooey
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 11:35:43 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-29 05:51:17 EST, keithw@sand.net writes:

> I agree, we all have our own definition of what a sports
>  car is, and I feel confident in knowning that not only
>  do I own a few genuine sports cars, I use mine in sport.

Keith:

After "discovering" sports cars as a teenager in the fifties, I read the
definition of a sports car in one of the magazines of the time. I liked it
then, and I still think it is the closest we'll get to a real definition.

It said that a sports car was a race car (road racing) with the ABSOLUTE
MINIMUM of refinements neccessary to enable it to be used for regular
transportation! The more refinements you add to it, such as roll up windows,
the further it gets from being a sports car. If you add enough, it is no
longer a true sports car, rather a "sporting" car.

By that definition, an MG TD is more of a sports car than an MGA, and an MGA
is more of a sports car than an MGB, and an MGF would probably not qualify as
a sports car at all.

Notice that neither performance capability nor fun was included in the
definition. A '23 T-bucket hot rod would probably be a lot of fun, and an F1
car would have great performance, but most of us would not want to drive one
on the streets very often, and neither would qualify as a sports car!

Whether it is a sports car or not, I like my MGBGT! (I'd also like to have a
'23 T-bucket!)

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74