Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)

To: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>, "Phil Raby" <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 98 11:07:49 -0500
On 1/16/98 4:42 PM so and so  Robert Allen said. (And I quote)

>Phil Raby wrote:
>
>> Also, what type of petrol is available in the US now? In England we have
Four
>Star (98 Octane leaded), Super Unleaded (98 octane) and Unleaded (95
>Octane). Super Unleaded is required for some performance cars but is not
>readily available anymore because of scares about its benzine content.
>
>I see some of the chillin' have checked in that, since they have never put
>anything but unleaded gas in their tanks, they are the experts in the area
>and it is no big deal. Ah the wisdom of youth.

Ah I agree.
>Of course, they didn't have to drive all of those chicken-shit cars of the
>late 70's and early 80's before the digital age got under the hood, turned
>the tide of performance, and made Wal-Mart greeters out of all the
>independent garage mechanics.

Are you really a Wal-Mart Greeter?
>I do miss the days of big V8s with very high compression numbers and
>carburetor throats that could store a six-pack. Say what you want but 400
>ft pounds of torque at 2,000 RPM have raised more male egos than Baywatch
>ever will.
67 Firebird 400 and a 4-speed - YES. Best car I ever owned (MG not
included)

>All of that went away with unleaded gas and the drop in octane that came
>with it. The pitiful swill that we have to use today requires the beloved
>computers, fuel injection, knock detectors, and oxygen sensors to keep the
>poor motors from melting down. Fortunately this is only really serious
>on high performance motors which is so rarely seen in LBCs.

10-4
>The rich folks with the Aston Martins, old Ferraris, XK Jaguars, and any
>number of the might mini-motors with turbos will be in a world of hurt. I
>can't get myself to pity anyone who has held the paper on an Aston Martin,
>however.

Still want to own one.
>As for some specificity, in Kansas City it's all unleaded and the best
>octane available is 91. Occasionally I've seen 93 at Amoco stations on a
>road trip. Currently the 87 octane cheap stuff is selling for $0.95 if you
>shop and the good stuff is $1.17. That's self serve.
>--
I can see the Mobil station from my backdoor. (no posters yet spotted)
Have no idea what grades of gasoline is on sale, I think around 92
octane. 'bout $1.25. I generally do not drive, as the train is right out
the back door. Only fill the MG with the best, 95 octane. I drive the MG
when I need to run errands and to shows, etc. (And for a blast on the
weekends).
>Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
>"Heard from Larry's o'lady:  If At First You Don't Succeed... Get New
>Batteries."
Now that wasn't MY o'lady.

Larry Macy
78 Midget