Re: Nostalgic Design

To: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design
From: jello@ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 22:26:18 -0600 (MDT)
>There's nothing really wrong with the Miata-- I'm just tired of its
>owners (almost) always needing to defame  the Brits. in comparison. I
>guess the ride is a matter of taste, but I really admire the design
>philosophy of those old Limeys!

I beg to differ on this one.  How many Miata owners do you know (or talk
to).  Most of them seem to have a great admiration for the MGs and Triumphs
of the world.  They just have relaiability fears, and are financially
strapped to one consistently 100% reliable car instead of two 95% reliable
cars.  I see people on this list and the british-cars list say what a
terrible thing the miata is.  I rarely see people with miatas say "that
thing is a dinosaur," or "Mazda came out and made a real sportscar."  Rather
they are likely to say - there's my imitation MG.  In reality it is more
like a lotus than any other british car - looks like one, light like one,
powerful as one.  And a better rear suspension.  I don't own a miata, nor do
I want to, but lets put away the petty "my old British car is a REAL
sportscar" nonsense.  Anyhow, the miata actually revived a lot of roadster
fanaticism.  We actually owe something to that.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
66 Citroen DS21 Manual Pallas
67 MGB