Re: Smog Woes (part one)

To: Harlan Jillson <hjillson@argolink.net>
Subject: Re: Smog Woes (part one)
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:49:46 -0700
Harlan Jillson wrote:

> Neil,
>    Most of us in the States don't have it quite as good as John does
> in Georgia.  Currently regular unleaded is running $1.02 to $1.10 in
> the Houston Tx. area  Then there is the
> fuel/road tax added in,  which in Texas amounts to about $0.39 per
> gallon,  of course you probably don't know anything about taxes in
> the UK ;-) ( tounge firmly planted).
>
> Harlan

The costs of running MG's in the USA seems high on spares, the prices I
have seen in these pages often astounds me, ( once converted to £sd.) (
That will date me........) Whilst petrol seems fantastically cheap over
there, I quote some recent parts I have purchased for our '89 MG 1300
Metro. Two front brake discs, ( old ones warped) £20 each; rear brake
cylinders at £10 each; set of rear brake shoes £6; water pump  £13; BUT
two front tyres at £55 each....expensive. Even my '64 Magnette is not
too expensive, tyres £45 each; but a brake master cylinder cost me £64
the other week, only a few years ago they were £25.( These were new/old
stock, now they are remanufactured.

Taxes....the Metro costs £150 per year for its Vehicle Excise Licence,
but the '64 Magnette & '52 YB are "Historic Vehicles" so are FREE. Just
to park on the road, post 1972 cars have to fork out the £150 road tax
here.

Neil