Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: O.D. - to clutch or not to clutch...
From: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 23:54:18 -0600
Hi Mike,

  When I got the OD right in my previous MGB (wish I hadn't sold it),
did much as you did.  BUT, it would operate as the manual said it would.

  Occasionally, I would run it up to 6500 rpm, flip the OD switch to OD,
let it go back to 6500, shift and flip it out of OD, rev it to 6500,
flip it to OD and so on,,,,,kinda fun,,,it was a toy.  If I blew it up
I'd fix it, was my attitude.  Parts were a lot easier to come by back
then and I made good dough.  I also would pull a power train, fix the
prob and stick it back in over the weekend.  I had a lot more energy
back then.

  I agree that shifting the OD needs to be done intelligently.  I always
tried to downshift it at a steady state speed, normally.  For instance,
when we were touring the northwest US in the '70 B w/OD, I'd have to
have been nuts to flog it.

  But sometimes I flogged it.  The doggoned thing was a toy, as is the
present B.  My attitude was: If I break it, I fix it.  Pretty much still
my attitude except it takes mor time and Ben-Gay. ;^)

  CR