Re: MG's and Bad weather Was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG's and Bad weather Was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:56:06 -0800
Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:

>My best solution for the B in the winter is too keep it in the garage;
>IMHO that is where a 30 year old sports car (hoping to make 60 before it
>becomes my son's car) belongs in bad weather.  If you want to get yours
>wrapped around a pole or under an SUV with blood all over it then drive it
>in bad weather.  Who cares how well it goes.  If you like your car have
>some respect for it.

Andrew, how about if I call you to help me save all the rust free
MG tubs I find in the southern California junkyards?  Would that
be respect enough?

Honestly people, unless you own Mable or one of the many PMO's or some
such, you've got a mass produced car with a blue book value under $3k.
Drive the hell out of it, and when it breaks, fix it right.  If you
want to drive on dirt roads, do it!  There are plenty of factory testing
and adverting pics with 'em on dirt.  If you want to drive in the snow,
go buy some good snow tires and more power to you!  If you want to build
a PRO Rally car out of an MGB GT, well then, you can come over and help
me with my project, and then I'll drive it!

While I don't at all like to think or such dreadful things are car accidents,
I'd rather see a 'B slide into a ditch and need work than watch *another*
MG go to the crusher.  I'm dead serious, all of you who think these things
should be "respected" and preserved, I can set you up with all sorts of
MGs that need some TLC.

In the year and half that I've been going to the 'yards out here, I've
seen the following be destroyed:

'64 MG Midget (was a sidecurtain car)
'72 MG Midget
'65 MGB
'70 MGB GT
'68 MGB GT
4 or 5 rubber bumpered 'Bs
5 or 6 rubber bumpered Midgets
plus Spitfires, TR-7s, and even some neat non-Brit stuff
I wish I could've saved (red FIAT 850)

I try to pull the most important bits off of 'em (I've got all sorts
of MG gauges), but there's only so much one person can do.

So, I challange all of the "preservationists" on the list:  go save an
MG that's off the road and unwanted, instead of telling other people
what to do with their cars.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/