Re: MG's and Bad weather Was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: MG's and Bad weather Was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:52:56 -0800
Keith Wheeler wrote:

> Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:
>
> >My best solution for the B in the winter is too keep it in the garage;
> >IMHO that is where a 30 year old sports car (hoping to make 60 before it
> >becomes my son's car) belongs in bad weather.  If you want to get yours
> >wrapped around a pole or under an SUV with blood all over it then drive it
> >in bad weather.  Who cares how well it goes.  If you like your car have
> >some respect for it.
>
> Andrew, how about if I call you to help me save all the rust free
> MG tubs I find in the southern California junkyards?  Would that
> be respect enough?
>
> Honestly people, unless you own Mable or one of the many PMO's or some
> such, you've got a mass produced car with a blue book value under $3k.
> Drive the hell out of it, and when it breaks, fix it right.  If you
> want to drive on dirt roads, do it!  There are plenty of factory testing
> and adverting pics with 'em on dirt.  If you want to drive in the snow,
> go buy some good snow tires and more power to you!  If you want to build
> a PRO Rally car out of an MGB GT, well then, you can come over and help
> me with my project, and then I'll drive it!
>
> While I don't at all like to think or such dreadful things are car accidents,
> I'd rather see a 'B slide into a ditch and need work than watch *another*
> MG go to the crusher.  I'm dead serious, all of you who think these things
> should be "respected" and preserved, I can set you up with all sorts of
> MGs that need some TLC.
>
> In the year and half that I've been going to the 'yards out here, I've
> seen the following be destroyed:
>
> '64 MG Midget (was a sidecurtain car)
> '72 MG Midget
> '65 MGB
> '70 MGB GT
> '68 MGB GT
> 4 or 5 rubber bumpered 'Bs
> 5 or 6 rubber bumpered Midgets
> plus Spitfires, TR-7s, and even some neat non-Brit stuff
> I wish I could've saved (red FIAT 850)
>
> I try to pull the most important bits off of 'em (I've got all sorts
> of MG gauges), but there's only so much one person can do.
>
> So, I challange all of the "preservationists" on the list:  go save an
> MG that's off the road and unwanted, instead of telling other people
> what to do with their cars.
>
> -Keith Wheeler
> Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/

Here here....I even tried to save a first generation FWD Lebaron from
being crushed. You may question why, but I love all ragtops, even the
rotary kind. But to no avail, I was willing to sell that car for $100,
just to save it, but it died two weeks ago. I work in a junkyard, and if
I could there would be as many cars in my back yard at home as there
would be in the junkyard. Right now I have a 87 Cavalier ragtop I am
trying to find a home for, any takers?

Mark Snowdon, the junk man with a heart...