Re: Oil Leaks - Rear Main Seal/Tappet Covers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Leaks - Rear Main Seal/Tappet Covers
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:43:24 -0700
>warren,
>     That 75lbs of oil pressure is about 25 lbs. more than the factory
>wanted..Pull out your pressure relief spring AND ball and see why it is not
>working properly..you should have about 55 lbs MAX aftter the engine is at
>poerating temp. at about 2000 rpm..any more and you know that the pressure
>relief system is jammed up and not releasing.
>Yours,H4(Howard)

I figured this message might elicit some comments. I have owned 3 MGBs and
they ran between 65-70 psi. If it dropped below 60, it was either time to
add more oil or it was time to change the oil.

Technically (by the book), 50-70 is the range it should be. And as I
understand it, the psi at idle is more critcal - running 25-40 psi.

The pressure relief valve system can cause lower oil pressure if the spring
has weakened. I haven't heard of the ball and spring jamming (not that it
can't happen).

Granted, my very first MG, the 65B, idled at 10 and ran at 40. At that time
I had several local MG owner friends who told me that it was a sign that
the rod bearings were very worn. And thus began my first engine overhaul.
That was after a LBC mechanic had me replace the relief valve spring which
didn't help.

One fix for low oil pressure is to tap on the gauge (needle may stick). For
those of us with oil pressure paranoia. When I'm actually driving (rpm
greater than 2500) and oil pressure is less than 65 psi, its a sure bet
I'll tap on the gauge itself and get the needle to give me the 5-10 psi I
wanted.

David
71 BGT