RE: Bolt sizes generally needed for MGB engine rebuild

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Subject: RE: Bolt sizes generally needed for MGB engine rebuild
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:14:58 -0400
Nina,

  When I rebuilt my motor I was pleased to find that there are pretty much
three sizes of nuts & bolts used.  David indicated the wrench size used, not
the thread size, which is how you'll buy them.

  I'd get three boxes of nuts:  1/4"  5/16"  and 3/8"  making sure you get
fine threads.  (Coarse threads are more common on the hardware store
shelves.)  If they're cheap, I'd get a small box of coarse threaded nuts for
the two larger sizes, just in case.  They're fairly common and you'll be
able to use the extras when you fix the dishwasher, replace a porch light,
etc.  Get a big box of flat and lock washers in each size.

  Also, I got very frustrated when I went to the local Home Depot type of
store.  They wanted to sell me nuts and bolts in little bags of one to four
pieces for $.75.  Find a local non-chain store where they'll sell you a box
of 100 for $3.00.  It may seem like a lot of hardware, but for $20.00
whenever you replace something you have new nuts and washers on hand.  You
can also find nut & bolt distributors in the yellow pages.  They usually
sell by the thousand to contractors, but I've found some that'll sell a
hundred at a time for good prices.  These places will also have stainless
steel nuts for your exhaust system.  I personally don't have much success
with the brass ones.

  Happy torqueing.

Matt Kulka
Huntersville, NC